Air Commodore (Retd) Md Abdus Salam, BPP, psc
Distinguished Professor, Faculty of Aviation Engineering and Technology
017699990822, 01678034516(what's app)
Present Position: Distinguished Professor, Faculty of Aviation Engineering and Technology
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Aviation and Aerospace University (BSMRAAU).
Office of the Distinguished Professor, Faculty of Aviation Engineering and Technology
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Aviation and Aerospace University(BSMRAAU)
Old Airport, Tejgaon, Dhaka-1215, Bangladesh.
Last Appointment: Dean, Faculty of Aviation Engineering and Technology, BSMRAAU
Dean, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (June 2019- July 2021)
Head (Aug2007-July2021) and Senior Instructor/ Professor
Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST),
Mirpur Cantonment, Dhaka.
Date of Retirement:05 Aug 2022
Maters of Defense Studies (MDS), National University, 2003, 2nd Class
M.Sc. (Aeronautical Engg.), Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, China, 1996, A Grade
B.Sc. (Mech. Engg.): Department of Mechanical Engineering, BUET, 1988, 1st Class
H.S.C: Keshabpur College, Jessore,1982,1st Div.
S.S.C Monirampur High School, Jessore,1980, 1st Div.
Title of M.Sc. Thesis: Jet Engine Condition Monitoring: WP7 Engine.
Title of Ph.D(Ongoing) Thesis: Aerodynamic Performance Analysis over a Symmetric and Asymmetric Aerofoil incorporating Magnus Effect.
Experience: 32 years of commissioned service in the Engineering Branch of Bangladesh Air Force.
Dean, Faculty of Aviation Engineering and Technology, BSMRAAU 1 year 03 month
Senior Instructor (Professor), Department of Aeronautical Engineering, MIST,
And Instructor Class A & B / Associate/ Assistant Professor, Department of Aeronautical Engineering, MIST. (17 years (11 years as Professor))
Instructor Class C, Aeronautical Engineering, BAF Academy, 1 year 9 months
Chief Instructor, Aero Trg Sqn, Trg Wg, ZHR, And OIC Aircraft Engg Flight, Trg Wg ZHR (2 years 6 months)
Academic & Administrative Experience:
Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, MIST, June 2019 – Jul 2021
Head of the Department, AE Dept. MIST, 12 Nov 2009 – Jul 2021
Acting Head of the Department, ME Dept, MIST, Dec 1999-April 2000
Syndicate Member of BUP, June 2019 – Jul 2021
Senate Member, BSMRAAU, August 2021-Till Date
Syndicate Member, BSMRAAU, August 2021-Till Date
Member of Academic Council, BSMRAAU, June 2019-Till Date
Member of Academic Council, MIST, June 2007- Jul 2021
Member of Governing Body, MIST, June 2019 – Jul 2021
Member of Council of MIST, June 2019 – Jul 2021
Member of Equivalence Committee (Aeronautical), UGC, July 2018-Till date
Lead Faculty Advisor, NASA Lunabotics Mining Competition, USA, 2012, 2013
Lead Faculty Advisor, AIAA Design Build Fly Competition, USA, 2013
Lead Faculty Advisor, SAE Aero Design Competition, USA, 2014
Evaluation Team (ET) Member, Board of Accreditation for Engineering and Technical Education (BAETE), IEB Bangladesh June 2020-Till date
Team Member, Technical Evaluation Panel (TEP), Rocketry Innovation Challenge 2022, A2i- Aspire to Innovate of the ICT Division and the Cabinet Division.
Training on Outcome-Based Education, BAETE, 2019
Staff college course DSCSC, Mirpur, 2002-03
Radiation Safety and Radiation Hazard Course, Atomic Energy Commission, 2000
JC & SC, CSTI, BAF, 1996
FSO Course, FSI, BAF, 1990
Seminar, Competition, Conference and Workshop Conducted:
13th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, BSME, BUET, Member, Organizing Committee, 2019.
Chief Organizer, Short Course on Oracle, MIST, 2018
Technical Chair, International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Applied Science, MIST, 2017
Chief Organizer, Workshop of RC aircraft design fabrication and operation, MIST, 2015
Chief Organizer, Job Fair, MIST, 2014, 2015
Chief Organizer, National Aero Design Competition, MIST, 2014
Chief Organizer, Seminar on Prospect of Aeronautical Engineering in Bangladesh, MIST, 2010
Project /Thesis Supervision/Thesis Defense
- Supervised about 12 undergraduate groups in ME Dept. MIST (about 5 years)
- Supervised about 30 undergraduate groups in AE Dept. MIST (About 10 years)
- Member Board of Exam for MSc/M Engg ( 2x Aeronautical, 2xMechanical, 2XIPE)
- Introduction to Aeronautical Engineering (AE, L-1)
- Thermodynamics (AE, ME L-2)
- Aerodynamics (AE, L-3)
- Aerospace Propulsion (AE, L- 3)
- Maintenance Management and Repair of Aircraft (AE, L-4)
- Space Engineering (AE, L-4)
- Introduction to Mechanical Engineering (ME, L-1)
- Manufacturing Process (ME, L-3)
- Mechanical Engineering Drawing (ME, L-1, L-2)
- Aeronautical Engineering Drawing (AE, L-1, L-2)
- Measurement and Quality Control (ME, L-3)
- Conducted Seminar for M.Sc. Students of AE Dept. MIST
- Aerodynamics of an aircraft
- Design and development of subsonic wind tunnel
- Design and analysis of unmanned air vehicle (UAV)
- Study of the Magnus effect on aerofoil
- Performance improvement of SME products.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers (IEB), Bangladesh
- Member, Kurmitola Golf Club (KGC), Bangladesh
- Md. Abdus Salam, Bhuiyan Shameem Mahmood Ebna Hai, “Study on Mechanical Product Based Small and Medium Enterprises of Bangladesh and Improvement of a Selected Product”, vol 2, pp 26-30, Galaxy, 2010 [ISSN: 2073-6444].
- Bhuiyan Shameem Mahmood Ebna Hai, Md. Abdus Salam, “Study of Aerodynamics of a Cricket Ball”, vol 1, pp 23-25, Galaxy, 2009 [ISSN: 1999-2009].
- Md Abdus Salam, Md Jalal Uddin Rumi, NC Chattopadhay, “Aerodynamic Analysis of Flapping Wing over Fixed Wing”, IACSIT International Journal of Engineering & Technology, Volume 6, No 2 April 2013.
- Md Abdus Salam, Vikram Deshpande, Nafiz Ahmed Khan, and MA Taher Ali. "Numerical Analysis of Effect of Leading-Edge Rotating Cylinder on NACA0021 Symmetric Airfoil." European Journal of Engineering and Technology Research 4, no. 7 (2019): 11-17.
- Jahangir, G. M., Salam, A., “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Biplane Configurations Using NACA 0024 Profile”, ICME 2007, BUET, Dhaka.
- Md Abdus Salam, Saifur Rahman Bakaul ,Fairus Sakib Tanzim , Kh MD. Faisal, “Design and fabrication of a micro-class unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with high payload fraction”, ICMIEE-2014 26-27 December, KUET, Khulna.
- Md. Abdus Salam, Md. Rayhan Afsar, Md. Abu Horaira Banna, Zahangir Mohammad Shahjahan Ali, “Design, Analysis & Optimization of a Small Unmanned Aircraft”, 2015 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, U.S.A., March 7-14, 2015.
- Md. Nurul Huda, Tabassum Ahmed, SM Shakil Ahmed, Md. Abdus Salam, Md. Rayhan Afsar, Kh. Md. Faisal, M. A. Taher Ali, “Study of NACA 0010 symmetric airfoil with leading edge rotating cylinder in a subsonic wind tunnel”, 11th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, BUET, 2015.
- Md. Afzal Hossain, Md. Abdus Salam, Md. Rayhan Afsar, Kh. Md. Faisal, M. A. Taher Ali, “Design and Optimization of a Long Range Jet Aircraft”, ICMIME 2015, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
- Md. Nurul Huda, Tabassum Ahmed, SM Shakil Ahmed, Md. Abdus Salam, Md. Rayhan Afsar, Kh. Md. Faisal, M. A. Taher Ali, “Study of NACA 0010 Symmetric Airfoil with Leading Edge Rotating Cylinder in a Subsonic Wind Tunnel”, 11th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, ICME 2015, BUET, Dhaka.
- M. I. Khan, M. A. Salam, M. R. Afsar, M. N. Huda, T. Mahmud, “Design, Fabrication & Performance Analysis of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle”, 11th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, ICME 2015, BUET, Dhaka.
- Md. Abdus Salam, Md. Rayhan Afsar, Md. Abu HorairaBanna, “Next Generation Hybrid Power Plant: A Solution to continuous Flight”, AIAA Student Conference, Australia.
- Shoyon Panday, Nafiz Ahmed Khan, Md Rasel, Kh Md Faisal, and Md Abdus Salam. “Comparative assessment of turbulence model in predicting airflow over a NACA 0010 airfoil.”; 7th BSME International Conference on Thermal Engineering, BUET, 2017.
- Nafiz Ahmed Khan, Md Abdus Salam, Kh Md Faisal, and Debanan Bhadra. “Computational study of airfoil performance with the incorporation of a moving surface at the leading edge.”; 12th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, BUET, 2017
- Md. Aktharuzzaman, Md Samad Sarker, Wasiul Safa, Nahreen Sharah, and Md Abdus Salam. “Development of an experimental setup for analyzing the influence of Magnus effect on the performance of airfoil”; ICMEAS, MIST, 2017.
- Salam, M.A., Ali, M.T. and Islam, M.Q., 2020, August. Experimental Analysis of Aerodynamic Performance on asymmetric NACA 23018 Aerofoil incorporating a Leading-Edge Rotating Cylinder. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 912, No. 4, p. 042027). IOP Publishing.
- Prospect of Aeronautical Engineering in Bangladesh, Md Zakiul Islam, Md Abdus Salam, Flt Lt Shaikh Firdous Mahmood. The paper was presented on a national seminar “Prospect of Aeronautical Engineering in Bangladesh” held at MIST on 02 October 2010.
- The Impact of Aviation on Development of Tourism in Bangladesh, Abdus Salam, Nasrul Anis Meraj and Dr. Abdullah-Al-siddique. The paper was presented on a national seminar “Prospect of Aeronautical Engineering in Bangladesh” held at MIST on 02 October 2010.
Books Published: (Co-Author)
Md Abdus Salam and Bhuiyan Shameed Mahmood, “Study of Aerodynamics of a Cricket Ball” published by LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, ISBN: 978-3-659-29532-4.